[Opensim-dev] secure_inventory_server ??

liu xiaolu lulurun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 03:04:24 UTC 2008

That option is avaliable from 5592, it is just a temporary thing.

To explain the situation simply:
1. old inventory server accepts any request without check the use identity,
this causes a problem that everyone's inventory information can be easily
modified by other people who even do not know your password.
2. secure_inventory_server accepts request by checking a valid session_id,
so every inventory request needs to be attached a session_id.
3. then both of the regionserver and the inventoryserver have to be changed:
  3.1 regionserver adds user's "session_id" to inventory CRUD requests
  3.2 secureinventoryserver expects the request data contains a "session_id"
4. so the latest regionserver do not work with non-secure inventoryserver
any more.

the option enables people who are using the latest regionserver, but want to
connect to a non-secure inventoryserver - they can set
"use_secure_invnetory" to false in OpenSim.ini

2008/7/25 Charles Krinke <cfk at pacbell.net>:

> I am hearing about a new OpenSim.ini setting called secure_inventory_server
> and am told it is not in OpenSim.ini.example. I believe all settings for
> OpenSim should be in OpenSim.ini and have a default, which in this case
> could be either true, or false, I would think.
>
> Can someone please help us understand what this setting is, what it does
> when set to false, what it does when set to true and perhaps consider adding
> at least a default for this setting in OpenSim.ini.example?
>
> Charles

Lulurun