[Opensim-dev] Lively

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 00:00:26 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:24:07 +0200
Mana Janus <mana.janus at web.de> wrote:

> Charles Krinke wrote:
> > I think one of the long-term issues may be that an avatars
> > appearance perhaps should be a property of the client and not the
> > region. Admitedly, our current mainstream client doesnt work that
> > way, but perhaps considering morphing our architecture to favor
> > that tendency might help.
> Great idea! Actually even today the appearance is baked in the client
> and sent to the server. The server supplies only the wearables and
> textures. I think it would not be a big change of client or general
> architecture to persist wearables and associated textures on the
> client, until the clothing is explicitly changed by the user.

I see a couple issues with storing the avatar appearance completely on
the client:

1. My computer got a virus and had to be reformatted (or my hard drive
crashed). How can I get my avatar back?

2. I'm trying to log in from a computer at my
friend's/my aunt's/an internet cafe in Uzbekistan, how can I use my
avatar?

Any website where the user logs in and has a 'presence' stores all
required information (such as the avatar image on a web forum, for
instance) on the server side.

Perhaps a model along the lines of OpenID is the way to go, a highly
available third party speaking a standard protocol which can be queried
for a user's avatar data.

Mike