[Opensim-dev] Changes needed to DotNet engine to make use of shared LSL and OSSL

krtaylor krtaylor at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 1 21:48:26 UTC 2008

As per the discussion on irc earlier today, I agreed to summarize the
plans to move forward with separating LSL from the current DotNet
engine, to make use of the shared structures proposed with the new
xengine. This isn't complete by any means, but meant to start an email
discussion.

The current DotNetEngine needs to be changed to make it able to process
events and share LSL and other languages via API files:

1. Use the IScriptEngine and IScript interfaces to support a per
instance object in the ScriptManager
- changes to refactor IScript using the AppDomainObject (IScript) from
Shared and to rescope the existing IScript to IScriptInstance and move
outside AppDomain

2.Use  EventParams and DetectParams

I have been toying with the idea of either patching the DotNet engine or
just porting the DotNet enhanced functionality to a XEngine clone for a
new DotNet base. Since we are already proposing isolating the languages
there is certain advantages to the later. The former would leave some
problems to fix, which have already been resolved in the XEngine. Either
way, I think a fork to a 3rd engine would be the best approach. This
would allow others to get involved, and retain both engines as they are
today, and not break everyone all  by simply having a 3rd engine for a
while.

Comments?

--
Kurt R Taylor (Kurt Stringer)