[Opensim-dev] Save/Load XML and XML2 Formats

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:09:27 UTC 2008

Ai Austin wrote:
> I am now a bit confused as to which region a save XML/XML2 file
> stored set of objects will appear when reloaded.
>
> I was set to a region "Welcome Island" at 1000,1000 and loaded the
> objects stored as XML and they appeared on the region that was now at
> 998,998 which had the original NAME of the island when stored.
>
> Should not the XML file objects go on the current selected region?
>
> Some way to save and load content that  is a bit easier to allow
> movement between setups and to allow us to give content to others
> would be a good idea maybe?

Hi Ai,

I deprecated the original xml format in favour of xml2 because there
didn't seem any good reason (as MW said) to retain two xml formats that
did the same thing.  I assumed that xml2 was more advanced in some way,
but actually it's not hugely different.

I see that the parameters that xml accepts do need to be accepted by
xml2 as well, so this should happen before xml goes away.  Also, extra
options to support the use cases you've described sound like a good idea.

The xml restored objects should go to the current region I think - I'm
surprised this isn't happening but what you're seeing certainly isn't
impossible, as the region information is embedded in the persisted prim.
  This probably needs to be resolved.

There is an archive format coming which will save out and reload assets
as well as the prim xml file.  This should start to make it easier to
move models between setups.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey