[Opensim-dev] XMPP Support in OSSL

dirk husemann hud at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Jan 28 11:26:49 UTC 2008

dirk husemann wrote:
> Kel Cecil wrote:
>> Hello.  I'm a student taking an Open Source Development class at West
>> Virginia University Institute of Technology.  As part of the class,
>> we've been asked to make a contribution to the OpenSim project.  After
>> reading the lists of requested functions for OSSL and talking to a
>> developer in the IRC channel, I've decided that I would like to add the
>> XMPP support.
>>
>> Before I start, I wanted to see if any developers would like to offer
>> thoughts, insight or ideas?
>>
> excellent idea ;-) (/me is using XMPP with libsl currently). some
> thoughts:
>
>     * it would be very useful to have the individual servers show up
>       with individual JIDs.
>     * access control via roster for each server
>           o send log messages to those JIDs that are in the roster and
>             are online
>           o accept commands from all JIDs that are in the roster
>     * logging exclusively via XMPP
>
> the above points assume that you are going to use the normal
> jabber:client subset of XMPP --- which allows us to use normal jabber
> clients.
actually this would use XMPP instead of the consoles (which are a pain
to use, i've to say)

the other approach, of course, is using XMPP for the chat subsystem.
there you'd probably have to make XMPP an XMPP server --- agsXMPP might
be helpful there as well:

    * JID: firstname.lastname at userserver
    * roster == friends

also, allowing login from jabber client would be useful --- that way you
could control your avatar from a jabber client (and use commands like
"/teleport to Core Dump/127/45/32" and similar). if you assign lower
prio to the external jabber presence, you could even have both external
jabber client online and the avatar via secondlife client online :-)

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield