[Opensim-dev] [libsl-dev] UUID format: dashed here to stay?

Bowman, Mic mic.bowman at intel.com
Wed Jan 16 17:50:54 UTC 2008

Just did a survey of the mysql database schemas...

Most of the databases use the string form with dashes.

The asset database uses a binary representation for the "id" field.

The land, prims, primshapes, and terrain databases all use string with
no dashes for UUID fields.

I personally prefer the dashed form as well (easy to read), and I can't
believe the performance or space requirements are sufficiently important
(relatively) to suggest one format over another (feel free to convince
me that I'm wrong though). Consistency would also make it easier to
manage the databases (eg to write scripts that handle garbage
collection).

--mic