[Opensim-dev] Bad tar file

coreone coreone at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 16:27:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

I was going to file this with the bug tracker, but I don't think it has to
do specifically with OpenSim.  Basically, on the Download section of the
website (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Downloads) you can download a
pre-packaged version of the stable release (0.5.0) with the following link:

http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tags/0.5.0-release.tar.gz?view=tar

This seems to work fine, except for the fact that there must be some way
that viewcvs.cgi is tar'ing the file that has a limit on the length of the
file paths.  The box I am compiling OpenSim on is CentOS 5.0.  I was running
into trouble compiling OpenSim from the 0.5.0 tar ball due to an error in
the OpenSim/Region/Terrain.BasicTerrain/TerrainEngine.cs source file.  It
couldn't find the AerobicErosion function, so I went looking for it.  That's
when I found the
OpenSim/Region/Terrain.BasicTerrain/libTerrainBSD/Channel/Manipulators/AerobicErosion.
file (that's right, no cs extension).  After some twiddling, I found that
the directory had several incorrectly named files (HydraulicErosio,
ThermalWeatheri) and when I looked at a listing of the tar file (tar -ztf),
the incorrect file names all had the same path length (i.e. the paths were
truncated).  I looked at the SVN version and they were named correctly, so I
went back into the release tree and renamed all the files correctly and
re-ran runprebuild.sh and nant and it compiled without a problem.

I downloaded the tar file again, this time on Windows, and opened it with
WinZip.  The files in that directory were named as follows:
AerobicErosion.0000644
HydraulicErosio0000644
NavierStrokes.cs0000644
ThermalWeatheri0000644

Just to make sure it wasn't tar, I tar'ed the corrected tree and there were
no truncated file names.  Just thought I would let you know since others may
be experiencing the same problem.