[Opensim-dev] Voice Module

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Feb 27 15:26:53 UTC 2008

I've spent a little bit of time looking at the Voice Module that just
got moved into trunk from the RealXtend branch, and I think it's headed
in the wrong direction.

Embedding voice in the simulator seems like the wrong direction, and
much less modular than we were heading for.  Plus, I think that under
any reasonable load, it's going to go useless *real fast*.  Given that
chat messages can often take 30 seconds in a loaded message, nothing
like voice really belongs there.

I think a much better approach would be to carve off voice functionality
into a seperate VoiceServer, which would let it run on a dedicated
machine, ensuring low latency.  I also think that the SLVoice approach
of sending all the streams to the client and letting the client do the
mixing is a better load approach.

Perhaps a hybrid model where after significant avatar moves avatar
possitions were sent to the Voice Server, so that you don't have the
issue where your ears can be fully devoid of your camera, would be
best.  But at the end of the day doing mixing on the server just seems
wrong.  Even skype offloads this to clients to do.

     -Sean