[Opensim-dev] InnerScene.UpdateEntities

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 05:25:46 UTC 2008

I recently did a performance profile on OpenSimulator in Scene and
Physics/ODE to try and establish some of our sticking points.

One such sticking point is InnerScene.UpdateEntities.

It appears to go through the entire list of entities and call the update
method which is overloaded.  This process consists of 67% of all CPU under
normal use.   Is there any reason that we need to call the update method on
*every* entity in the scene 10 times per second?   Consider the scenes that
have 16,000 or more entities.   (I only have 342 + avatar in my test scene)

Is there any reason this can't be implemented in a taint queue?

Best Regards

Teravus