[Opensim-dev] Grid <-> Authentication Service

dr scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Fri Feb 15 10:11:16 UTC 2008

SignpostMarv Martin wrote:
> On the lines of an "authentication service", I'm doing a similar experiment;
>
> Using OpenID to log into an OpenSim, by way of the web login system:
> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Web_login_code/php5
>
> The basic gist is you go through the usual OpenID authentication
> process, then once it's complete the server alters the web login key in
> the userprofiles table, and sends an appropriate redirection header to a
> secondlife:// URI.
>
> This in effect allows for passwordless login to the server, and you
> could implement a similar process either by supporting OpenID, or
> augmenting your existing system. The advantage of using the web login
> code is that you can either use the Students real names, or allow them
> to pick their own.

that, of course, is the preferred implementation :-) --- the only
problem we currently have with that is that the 1.19 series of SL client
doesn't have web-authentication support (LL took that out after problems
with getting the web login page to load reliably in the client, IIRC).

    cheers,
    drk
> ~ Marv
>
> Diva Canto wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have set up a small OpenSim grid here at UCI, for experimentation.
>> We are about to hook it up to the existing campus identity service, but
>> before we do that, I thought I'd ask if someone has already done something
>> like that, and what your experiences were.

dr dirk husemann, mathmatics and computer science, ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: hud at zurich.ibm.com - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/