[Opensim-dev] region status tracking in GridServer

Brian Wolfe brianw at terrabox.com
Sat Feb 9 18:56:10 UTC 2008

After much IRC discussion I would like to make a couple changes to the
regions table.

online bool NOT NULL deafult false
last_seen int(11) NULL

The online column would be updated as a region logs in and out of
GridServers. This way an external management/status application doesn't
have to pester the grid server for the full list of regions and their
status. This would also provide data to regions requesting map blocks as
to the status of a region (a.ka. LL's Red Regions in the map view).

The last_seen column would be of asistance to these same management apps
in helping the administrator to determine which regions were long term
MIA or just plain not wanted anymore by walk away grid members.

My main concern is load placed on the grid server and having to ping
regions by external applications having to probe every region currently
to tell if it's still around or not.

To acomplish this i'm workign on a patch to implement region_logout
XMLRPC that would be called via Region.Communications.DeregisterRegion
(which is currently empty).

I woudl also add an update of RegionProfileData as each RPC call si made
by a region to GridManager.  Database updates would only happen
periodicly as regions login and logout.

Are there any objections or reasons not to implement this?