[Opensim-dev] Object Representation

Impalah impalah at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 18:37:03 UTC 2008

Well, I've seen enterprise solutions with hibernate and Lucene working
together, so the needs for having a good search engine could be covered with
this aproach...

I've been looking for info of Atomatrix (not too much, only a bird's eye
look). Looks very interesting: atomic objects, distributed computing, etc.
Is all that a virtual world needs.

But it's not incompatible with hibernate, I think. One is the object model
(the whole world architecture), the other, the way the objects persists in
database (or memory, or whatever we want to use). Maybe if we take a look at
the atomatrix code we could find a way to link everything.

Collada is another thing. It's a xml format for saving 3D scenes: good for
sharing data between programs but not for having this data working in real
time. I tried to use it for my Henshin project (Autocad to Second Life
exporter program) but due the way SL treates the primitives (modifications,
cuts, texturing...) is a mad to use it: we will need to add some type of
"converter" if we want to use the Second Life viewer. One project that uses
Collada for importing/exporting is Multiverse (http://www.multiverse.net/)
if my memory doesn't fails.

That's my saturday evening brain fart :-P

Greetingzzz

PD - Please, excuse my english. I hope there won't be any misunderstood :-)