[Opensim-dev] Object Representation

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software) mike.dickson at hp.com
Sat Feb 9 05:41:20 UTC 2008

Ok, then I'm confused what you're proposing.  I'll admit to not being very familiar with atomatrix.  I have many scars from past efforts at data mart and de-normalized schema development.  In the end I came away un-convinced as to their usefullness.  Ultimately when you want to manipulate the data your storing as objects I found the best performance comes from something closer to those objects rather than a denormalized schema.  Again I may be completely off base as I'm not familiar with atomatrix.  I do like the  hibernate based approach.  And sorry but the GPL gives me hives.

I've been a lurker to date and thinking about how to contribute to OpenSIM.  I have a fair bit of experience in dealing with large systems with complex data.  And specifically with full text searching (large text based genomics systems).  We did a large project with a denormalized schema, tools to export that data into XML and a lucene (lucene rocks) based search engine.  We sunk huge amounts of time into making the relational/data mart part work, tried to come up with efficient ways to handle the XML when the size got unwieldy.  Ultimately we did a process that fed lucense directly dumping the intermediate XML and in the truly full text case got rid of big chuncks of the denormalized schema and just used lucene.  The summary in all this is I think I learned keep simple problems simple and data close to the format you're going to use it.

Maybe this database thingy is finally a place I can help.

Mike