[Opensim-dev] Search server DB schema

David Wendt JR. dcrkid at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 18:19:35 UTC 2008

Hello, OpenSim developers.

    I have recently taken up OpenSim development. I'm writing plugins to allow Search to work. I need your opinion on a database schema for storing the indexed search information for a hypothetical (so far) new grid service "SearchServer".

    I figure out for searching "Places", "Popular Places", and "Land Sales" we will need the following fields: Parcel UUID, Name, Description, LandArea, Traffic, Region UUID, Region Maturity Flag, Region Parent Estate ID, Loc X, Loc Y, Loc Z, Image UUID, ForSaleStatus, Category, ForSalePrice, AuctionID, Owner UUID, OwnerIsGroup Flag. Some of these fields won't be implemented for a long time (especially ParentEstates) but it's good to have those anyway.

    The "Classifieds" search tab requires these fields: Entry UUID, Name, Description, Publisher UUID, Publisher Parent Estate ID, Image UUID, ClassifiedPrice, AutoRenewFlag, Category, Region UUID, Loc X, Loc Y, Loc Z, MatureFlag.

    The "Events" calendar search tab requires these fields: Event UUID, Name, Description, Publisher UUID, Publisher Parent Estate ID, Mature Content Flag, Event Date, Event Length, Region UUID, Loc X, Loc Y, Loc Z, Cover Charge. The Event calendar also supports notifying people who opt-in, so it would also require another table with Event UUID and Subscribing Avatar UUID.

    New Search (which I don't forsee being able to implement until way later) also requires sim object data. Object UUID, Parent Parcel UUID, Name, ForSaleStatus, ForSalePrice, Loc X, Loc Y, Loc Z seem to be good enough.

    Now I need your opinion on this schema. Is it a good idea to have each type of searchable object in a separate table? Or would it be more feasible to have all the relevant fields in a single table "search" with an "objecttype" enum to differentiate between the types?

From,
    KMeist Hax