[Opensim-dev] OpenSim Comms

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Mon Dec 29 21:40:09 UTC 2008

> This will help making the transition incremental without disturbing what > already exists, and slowly making the existing Comms code dead.
Excellent choice.
 > I don't think this architecture is exactly right, for a number of > reasons. Communications pertains to Regions, yes, but not to > Region/Environment.

May I inject a piece of historical data; some of the region/scene/innerscene confusion pertains to us trying to separate the 'scene' from the 'region' way back then.

Roughly,

The 'scene' would be the 'scenegraph' and deal with controlling the scenegraph model.

The 'region' would be the 'endpoint' and deal with communications.

Darren started a babysteps refactoring voyage towards moving stuff from 'old Scene' to 'InnerScene', which was supposed to become 'new SceneGraph' and then 'old Scene' would just keep the 'Comms' bits and become the 'new Region Endpoint'.

To make matters worse, we also have the RegionInfo, which is the (communicated) data about the 'Region Endpoint' - which seems to cause confusion and hesistance.

Alas, this divide has only come half-ways, but when working with communications, we should continue the strife.

(So, yes, in theory, endpoints and scenegraphs were supposed to be a many-to-1, not an 1-to-1 - so that a scene, for example, could be 512x512m over four endpoints - making more efficient use of each endpoint thru internal routing.)

> And communications may be empty but should never be > null, so the region module concept is not the best; it will be better to > have interfaces and replaceable DLLs. Essentially, I think the current > design OpenSim.Region.Communications.* is the right one, but needs some > improvements. Probably we should have something like this:
Yay for having the comms pluggable, with a base-case Comms Stub. That stub could probably take over some of the standalone/grid mode grittiness. (By, for example, supplying a never-authenticating user service)

Stefan