[Opensim-dev] OpenSim 0.6.1 Alpha released

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:58:28 UTC 2008

[Small addendum - it just struck me that I hadn't actually put in a release page link]

Hi folks,

OpenSim 0.6.1 has been released.  This is the same source code as trunk revision r7840.  As with all past releases, this
is an Alpha release, so please expect incomplete features and only modest stability.  This is a normal 'unstable'
OpenSim release (recent opensim-dev discussions about branches or unstable/stable release cycles do not apply to this).

The release is available from http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download

There are numerous improvements and bug fixes in pretty much every area for this release, but the major changes since
0.6.0 (r7176) include

* Improvements to attachments, animation overrides, friends and presence handling, hud support, linkset support, object
return, terrain handling, object meshes, object persistence, permissions, object save to inventory, etc.

* Various scripting improvements, including a switch by default over to the XEngine script engine, that appears to
currently be yielding better performance than the previous DotNetEngine.

* Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) improvements.

* Introduction of the Hypergrid, an experimental grid architecture (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid).

* A major security fix so that insecure non-LSL script compile (C#, Visual Basic, etc.) is not enabled by default

A more detailed rundown can be seen by looking at the SVN logs directly.  For my sins, I also produce a weekly
development summary which contains a higher level summary (though considerably lower level than the bullet points
above).  The relevant period is from

http://justincc.wordpress.com/2008/11/17/this-week-in-opensim-dev-week-ending-saturday-15th-november-2008/

http://justincc.wordpress.com/2008/12/29/this-week-in-opensim-dev-week-ending-saturday-27th-december-2008/

Regards,