[Opensim-dev] Groups and using our sims more

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:24:15 UTC 2008

IRC is inefficient, unauthenticated, easy to break (brittle, and thus
not 'reliable' the way anyone would normally use the term), requires
one-and-only-one path from server to server (and thus from client to
client), and is thus subject to "netsplits", grants too much power to
any individual server, grants too much power to the operators of each
individual server, grants too much power to the Operators of the
entire network, and all of its shortcomings were addressed in XMPP.
It is also a much, much different protocol nowadays than the original
RFC on it.

Further, IRC also does not scale to thousands of users in a single
room.  (If you have more than 50 users in a room, the join/part
notifications easily eat up most of the communications bandwidth, and
the messages must travel along the 'backbone' server path.)

As well, using XMPP for individual messaging and IRC for group
messaging requires the implementation of and maintenance of two
separate communications protocols.

I'd rather IRC just /die/.  Since it won't, in second place I'd rather
not build new things atop it.

-1 to IRC.

-Kyle H