[Opensim-dev] Groups and using our sims more

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 00:58:34 UTC 2008

I think we need to be cautious here and consider the possible growth before
just implementing the first thing that comes to mind. LL has certainly had
difficulties with group chat as concurrency increases (although they are
quite silent about why this happens). When we get to hundreds, thousands,
perhaps even millions of concurrent online users then any deficiencies in
the original design may come back to haunt us. Despite the opinions of some
I do believe it is possible to have functional real time chat with millions
of online users, there are networks that demonstrate capabilities similar to
this already in existence, such as real time financial information networks.
IRC with it's multiple star server node design may also provide some insight
we can leverage. Whatever comes about, it seems multiple hosts will be
required for more than just the few users that OSGrid sees at any one time.
Some sort of P2P design may be workable if well thought out. I also suspect
that presence tracking may be a difficult problem and should be considered
upfront.