[Opensim-dev] Feature Request ...

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Sat Dec 20 21:13:05 UTC 2008

Excellent! We really need windows service wrappers for the various exe's.

A couple of pointers:

1) Since this is (in practice) a windows-only project, you should implement this as a 'forge' project;
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/
2) To be able to do so, you should implement the services as 'wrappers', separate applications that _use_ the Main Classes, not change or expand on them, like for example for the grid service wrapper:

    partial class GridServ : ServiceBase    {        private GridServerBase m_gridApplication;
        protected override void OnStart(string[] args)        {            // Define working directory (For a service, this is set to System dir by default...)            Process pc = Process.GetCurrentProcess();            string useDirectory = pc.MainModule.FileName.Substring(0, pc.MainModule.FileName.LastIndexOf(@"\"));            Directory.SetCurrentDirectory(useDirectory);
            log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();
            m_gridApplication = new GridServerBase();
            m_gridApplication.Startup();        }   }

(This snippet taken from Tribal Medias proprietary service wrappers - feel free to copy+paste.)

3) When you've done the wrappers, the next step is to add a method to communicate with the consoles. One way to go about it is to have the service process redirect the console in and output to a named pipe, and then supply a console app that listens/writes to those pipes.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB

Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:53:32 +0100From: Develope at Ashuan.deTo: Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: [Opensim-dev] Feature Request ...

Hi Friends,

i wish to implement the feature to run all Gridcomponents (Userserver, Assetserver ....) as a Service.
My work is now only to evaluate how easy or not it is ... it is easy .. but ...

I must add an Reference to the System.ServiceProcess in several Project.
Now my question ...

Is there a Problem doing this?
And second how do i include an reference into a .patch-File?

Kai