[Opensim-dev] Idea for 100% smooth region crossing

Buckaroo Mu opensim-dev at bitparts.org
Fri Dec 19 21:50:29 UTC 2008

The one big hairy problem I see with this is physics. If I drive from
one sim in another, and the road suddenly takes a dip/rise/dead-end in a
building, what's to keep me from either "flying toward infinity" or
falling right through the ground? Unless I'm mistaken, neighbor-sims
known nothing about the physical items (or even non-physical,
non-phantom items) across the border.

Let's take a for-instance. I'm sitting in a sim, and directly across the
sim border is someone's store/home/office/whathaveyou. I walk across the
border - and right through the back wall, ending up (potentially) where
I shouldn't be - because there's also the issue of parcel entry
permissions to look at.

On a more (potentially) disastrous example - I'm driving along in my
physical vehicle, and cross the sim - straight into a hill, building,
grandstand, etc. Suddenly, the sim I'm entering receives the handoff -
and my physical vehicle is interpenetrating other prims. WHAM, into the
sky I go.

My $0.02.

-Buckaroo Mu