[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] grid operation

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 10:21:05 UTC 2008

I forgot to say that I also don't think we should be thinking in such black and white terms between standalone mode and grid mode.

With the system we have at the moment, we can do anything in between. For instance we could have local user server and grid server but use separate Asset/Inventory servers.

I really don't think we have started to get near to how a future distributed system will work, so it seems wrong to start removing flexibilty and tying ourselves to one method.

Michael Wright <michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: I really don't think standalone mode is a relic of the past, and don't think its finest hour is anywhere near yet. I think adaptions of standalone mode, with a Hypergrid type systems, are a big part of the future.

There are so many applications that a variant of standalone would fit much better than full grid mode.

But even if its not, it is certainly useful for testing and for new users. And performs much better than a grid for a few regions. Someone was asking about this in #dev the other day...Why when they switch from standalone to grid mode with the same number of regions, was the performance much worse.

There is also the issue that Justin mentioned last time we talked about this (last week in the other thread), of a user having to monitor the other processes and restarting them if one of them crashed.

I really think we should be moving away from the grid system we have now. I think we could improve the Hypergrid concept of the grid/map and  have a more peer to peer grid service.

But again I do think there is a lot that we can do to simplify the code paths, we have a lot of duplication that isn't needed and don't share code and interfaces between the UGAIM and the standalone services as much as we should.

So my vote is still -1 to removing standalone mode.

Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote: I believe the simplification of internal code paths is worth the
multiple processes. Of course, you may have a different opinion.

I further believe that the overhead is negligible and caught up by
the time saved within the application, for not having to call across
delegates, interfaces and X layers of indirection.

An "implicit grid mode" can certainly be made VS friendly - just a
matter of designing it that way.

And grid mode !=  SLClone. All the new directions (distributed asset
system, OpenID, etc) revolve around grid mode.

Standalone is a relic from the early days that should have it's
finest hour just about now. It's about as useless as a HTTP 1.0
webserver in view of the things to come.

Melanie