[Opensim-dev] service monitoring for opensim

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 02:34:15 UTC 2008

I've been poking around recently on ways to do service monitoring of
OpenSim via reasonably stately requests.  The idea here is to make some
standard recipes for how one could use things like nagios, or other
standard management frameworks to keep track of opensim, and let you
know when things have gone wrong.

For monitoring the simulator there is currently:

http://server:port/simstatus/

Which returns "OK" or doesn't.  It's not a very robust check, but it's
workable enough. :)  It at least tells you if the sim is deadlocked or not.

On the grid services side I was looking for lowload function calls,
preferably REST, that can be used to the same avail.

For the grid server:

http://host:gridport/sims/UUID-of-known-sim

works pretty well.  It's a single db lookup, and returns a small amount
of data.

For the user server:

http://host:userport/get_grid_info

fits the bill.

For the asset server:

http://host:assetport/assets/ec4b9f0b-d008-45c6-96a4-01dd947ac621

works well.  For those wondering, that's returning the texture on the
moon, which is a hard coded uuid in the client, so something every grid
should have.

Inventory and Messaging servers aren't quite as simple, as there isn't a
quick and easy REST call on either.  While it would be possible to
create a faked xml-rpc set of requests, I'm hoping to avoid that if
possible.

Question:

What do people think of adding some easy REST interfaces to the
Messaging and Inventory services that are like the /simstatus/ call?
Are there other alternatives we should be using here?  Does anyone else
have other thoughts on sane ways to service monitor these environments?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
sdague at gmail.com