[Opensim-dev] Guest logins for grids, an idea which could change a lot

Mircea Filipescu mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:41:55 UTC 2008

Truth is that was my vision as well somehow. The best way I had in mind to describe it was the forum and IRC examples, but yes a big reason why I was thinking about this would be that Opensim should as well be usable as a platform just like the web, which you can surf freely even where you don't register if allowed to. I think guest for grids would be crucial in allowing Opensim to look and work exactly like "3D web" system. This would be extremely useful for closed grids as well, when Opensim would be ran in an intranet network and require no account authentication and registration there.

About the Public Standalone mode you mentioned... I believe that the current standalone mode does work just like that. As far as I know, Standalone mode only means that a separate Opensim instance cannot connect and run their region to you from the outside, but you can run in standalone over the internet and allow someone else to log into your sim from the outside. So I think that such a thing is at least 85% implemented if that would be correct... anyway that's a separate thing from grid guests but indeed important as well.

My exact vision was just implementing the same "accounts_authenticate" flag used for standalone in opensim.ini.example for grid mode as well. Apart from that it would then be necessary that the last name is Guest and probably other checks as well, but that's kinda what I went with in my idea. I think that logging into a grid anonymously is something separate from teleporting from one grid to another with hypergrid, although a close concept. As for a modified viewer, the Hippo Opensim viewer is indeed the best one to rely on for that.