[Opensim-dev] How do you remove inventory items from the client

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 15 17:09:08 UTC 2008

I don't have the code in front of me, would have to dig it up to give the complete process that we did, but this was quite a while ago, so the opensim calls we did have changed a bit.

But what we were talking about is that we had "local region inventory items/folders" that got added to the users inventory, when a user entered that region.

We just added a few small changes to the InventoryCache so details for such items never got sent to the inventory server. And then just added these items to the inventory cache for each user in the region. Then when a user left a region, sent a inventory update to remove those items.

I think there are a couple of different methods of telling the client that a inventory item has been deleted. One being ClientAPI.SendRemoveInventoryItem(),  another being sending/refreshing the folder details/descendants... ClientAPI.SendInventoryFolderDetails() (which the client seems to accept the data from at any time...it doesn't have to of requested a update).

But you certainly can remove inventory items which gets reflected in the client. Opensim does it in various places, like when you rezz a object that you don't have copy permissions on. And also in the DetachSingleAttachmentToGround() method.

Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote: Stefan, MW

In a couple of your e-mails you guys said that some of your experiments involved removing inventory items from the
client when crossing to different regions (hence I presume while the client is still running).

I'd be very interested to know how you do this.  I didn't think that this was possible, at least not with the vanilla
Linden Labs Second Life client.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey