[Opensim-dev] UGAIM++ (Re: rex auth & avatar systems)

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Mon Dec 15 09:20:40 UTC 2008

Over time,

the winning strategy is to allow for easy implementation of case-specific architectures - as you yourself saw with being able to (realtively) easily implement 'hypergrid' on OpenSim.

OpenSim will 'win' by being the thing that allows the winning architecture to be built upon it, and not by pushing any specific set of architecture design solutions (but this).

So, trying to do something 'better than the web' is a precarious stance, as the web was proofed by use, and is, in its own right, the best solution.

That said, I do agree 100% with the 'home' and 'home grid' concept - we have played with letting regions add and remove inventory items and permissions depending on what region you're on - so yes, in your 'home' region, you would have full access to all your items, and would be able to create a new avatar appearance, but if you did it in another region (untrusted) any profile, inventory and appearance updates would not get stored. Or vice versa, if you landed in the medieval fantasy sim, you would get an inventory node with region-specific themed items. We think this approach holds promise.
Also, on 'putting it on apache' - that's _exactly_ what we've been trying to do since the beginning of OpenSim. Or rather, enable people to do so, reasonably easy. The http server architecture was, with the streamhandlers, meant to be able to be portable to other production environments - it's REALLY easy to do an asp.net ashx generic web handler that acts as a service in-place drop-in by just forwarding the request/response streams to their respective handlers, allowing you to keep the 'business logic' of the protocol handlers whilst delegating the actual communications to another layer. The UGAIM service exes were thought of as 'the reference implementations'.

As always, there's the API, the protocols and the services as _reference_implementations_.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:46:19 -0800From: lopes at ics.uci.eduTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: [Opensim-dev] UGAIM++ (Re: rex auth & avatar systems)About the picture below. In OpenSim, the login process could be made more decoupled if only the user server didn't assume anything about the map (grid) server. On the other hand, I don't see a problem in giving users "homes", that is, default regions where they always land upon logging in. The home concept is actually quite important, I think. In VWs users should probably have homes. A "home" is the place where users can do everything without fear of being robbed -- that's my definition of "home."Also, the User Service could be decoupled from inventory and assets. It already is, to some extent. However...I think there's something really interesting about the set UGAIM++ (the ++ is for additional user-centered services), and although they serve different purposes, their total decoupling is not necessarily a good thing. I came to that conclusion after having thought first that the decoupling was definitely the way to go. I'm not so sure it is anymore, but I can see both ways. I think we can do a lot of interesting things with peer-to-peering sets of UGAIMs instead of decoupling the individual services. Here's why.I really like the idea of designing a global infrastructure centered on people ("people", not "avatars"). The question we should be asking is: what do people need to go around this global infrastructure? They need an identity to login to (U), a home (G), raw storage (A), storage organization and ACL (I), a way to talk to other people (M), ... and maybe other things. Yes, we can certainly spread these different services among different service providers, but what are the advantages of doing so? I came to formulate these questions as I started to understand the architecture of OpenSim a little better. What if... we packed a bunch of user-centered services into Apache? Wouldn't that make Apache a lot more interesting? What if... every computer would come with an associated user-centered web server, a "standalone"? Wouldn't that make a lot of things a lot easier on the web?Before we blindly copy the web, and the practices on it, we should consider ways to make something *better* than the web, and this goes way beyond the 3D-ness of VWs. The UGAIM++ collection made me stop and think about this.Crista