[Opensim-dev] Guest logins for grids, an idea which could change a lot

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Mon Dec 15 07:37:58 UTC 2008

I can say that anonymous, Guest and 'ghost' presence modes has been part of Tribal Medias wishlist/roadmap for quite some time. 'Ghosts' in this case would be those that, totally unregistered, can consume a region but not interact with it, being an invisible passive observer.
This would open up for quite a few showcase/casual gaming scenarios.

Unfortunately, it's again a matter of our 'base case' in OpenSim being the registered agent with an 1-to-1 with a scene presence. It will need some restructuring to make it happen.
 Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB

From: mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deDate: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 23:58:48 +0200Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Guest logins for grids, an idea which could change a lot

I think grids wouldn't have many reasons to mind enabling this. If someone wants to come in and do harm, having to register an account to do that wouldn't get in their way pretty much so it wouldn't make such a big difference that they login as guests or not. Only thing which limits abuse in creating accounts apart from IP filtering is being allowed to use a single email address per account, so griefers need to use a new email every time their account is suspended.And yeah, the HyperGrid system allows people with an account to a linked grid travel to another grid which makes things even easier and kind of acts like anonymous logins in a way. As I said, guests could for example not be allowed to build and script until they register, and that way it wouldn't make it easier for griefers to attack a sim without an account other then verbally.There's two things to discuss separately here. One is implementing a system to allow anonymous logins in grid mode, which I would highly suggest so those who run their own small grids can make such a decision (the current 'anonymous logins' system is only allowed in standalone). I don't see any reason not to as long as it's non-default so people who run grids can choose if they want to, and I think this would be helpful for some closed group grids depending on their purpose and other connectivity limitations. Second thing to think about is if large grids like OSGrid, OpenLife and many others would be better off with such a system or without, which is a totally separate discussion and could be more complicated to get into. I for one would see advantages with this, and think it could make some things faster and simpler.

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 07:36:37 +0100From: lcc1967 at gmail.comTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSubject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Guest logins for grids, an idea which could change a lotThere is something called HyperGrid that allow you  to jump from your native sim to any other linked sim.
Seriously, I doubt any grid will allows anonymous login for safety reason.

SM