[Opensim-dev] Mantis#2816 patch and openid

Hurliman, John john.hurliman at intel.com
Mon Dec 15 03:28:16 UTC 2008

A clarification on the patch, this adds OpenID provider support to user server. It does not turn the user server into an OpenID consumer. I think OpenID grid login is a very interesting discussion that should take place on the mailing list, but what this does is allow you to prove ownership of an avatar on a grid. You could leave a comment on a blog using your avatar identity, for example. The main reason for the patch is to pave the way to building a secure hypergrid. Now that OpenSim is evolving into a federated grid model it's critical to be able to carry identity around the metaverse. I also have a patch for the distributed asset service that authenticates all inventory and asset transactions against the user server and allows whitelisting/blacklisting of foreign grids (will be committed very soon after some cleanup).

John