[Opensim-dev] Auditorium for 500

Kyle "G" create at reactiongrid.com
Sat Dec 13 18:14:27 UTC 2008

Great Americo although I am by FAR not an OpenSim expert compared to Neb and
many others and even to Chris Hart on my own team. I have just been focused
on server specs under load for many months now. Just simply staring at the
numbers and watching what users do.

When it comes to the guts of OpenSim there is little I personally can
comment on as I am a web developer not a server application developer. More
of a mashup/end user guy though my team has deeper expertise in C#/.NET/SQL.
But as a former Navy Electronics Tech I am very good at hardware maintenance
and uptime.

Keeping submarines operating embedded a sense of urgency in me J .
Troubleshooting procedures taught me about isolation, half splitting and
other valuable methods to finding faults.

I will only pop in a comment when it is something I have witnessed myself
firsthand and also my hopes for OpenSim performance. At 20 avatars on one
sim, after login, our CPU went back to almost idle usage which makes me
wonder how high we can go.

So my guesswish is with monster hardware (maybe current?) we can do 30-50
avatars reliably on a single sim. If not we will see if 4 connected sims
helps.  We will also ask the OpenSim devs to help us with this test and
suggest various unique tests as we are planning this to be a community event
IF we get sponsors. We have some real bites now.

I very much defer to the core devs on the ultimate in advice I am a noob
here as well really as far as OpenSim capabilities overall.

Kyle G
www.reactiongrid.com