[Opensim-dev] mono & the client

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 12 15:55:23 UTC 2008

Sean Dague wrote:
> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>> Dahlia Trimble wrote:
>>> I can see that using the most recent release version may be beneficial.
>>> One concern I have is the often difficult update process for mono, and
>>> the default versions that ship with popular linux distributions may not
>>> be the latest release version. I would prefer that if bugs are uncovered
>>> using popular versions, that we may want to address those bugs and only
>>> recommend upgrading as a last resort. This would allow a wider adoption
>>> than if we mandated the most recent mono version.  Along the same lines,
>>> there are circumstances where updating to the latest versions may be
>>> impractical or even impossible, such as in some rental servers or other
>>> circumstances where the user may not have the necessary capability to
>>> upgrade.
>> +1  Distributions such as Ubuntu, Mandriva and openSUSE are still on 1.9.1.
>>
>> Personally, I doubt that the vast majority of the problems encountered by our users have bugs in Mono as the cause -
>> they are far more likely to be our bugs.  These people will probably not benefit by having to do a manual Mono upgrade.
>
> The nhibernate crash related to missing oracle dll was a mono 1.9 bug.
> On mono 2.0 it didn't crash the simulator on startup.

I'm not sure I would call that a bug so much as a missing dependency (which later got folded into mono 2.0 proper).

> While I do understand 1.9.1 is out there a lot, it is a beta mono, and
> 2.0 is much better.  Sadly a lot of people shipped the beta, and aren't
> updating beta -> release in their distros.

That's true.  However, I don't think that our current issues have anything much to do with Mono - we were quite happily
carrying on with various versions of Mono including 1.9.1 and 2.0.1 before the latest troubles struck.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey