[Opensim-dev] external host name

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Fri Dec 12 02:50:54 UTC 2008

Yes, this sounds good - I recently put my home computer's IP into
a hostname via the free service by dyndns.com. Then, I use the
hostname throughout for opensim. This is great considering
that periodically (namely, on a router reboot), the router will request
a new IP from Cox Cable. By using my hostname, I avoid changing
any config, ini, or region files.
-p

Melanie wrote:
> A host name can also be an IP address. IP addresses and hostnames
> are interchangable and we can't assume DNS presence. So, the field
> should accept a name or IP, and resolve names, like almost
> everything else on the internet does.
>
> Melanie
>

> Cristina Videira Lopes wrote:
>
>> The thing is that this can potentially create a RegionInfo data
>> structure with
>>            nRegionInfo.ExternalHostName = regionData.IPADDR;
>>
>> This is inconsistent with certain queries on the Grid server, like "give
>> me all my neighbors" which may send host names.
>>
>> So, back to the point: someone needs to decide what is it that
>> RegionInfo.ExternalHostName  is supposed to hold.
>>
>> Teravus Ovares wrote:
>>
>>> RegionUpData is my fault, and spawned from compatibility issues with
>>> .NET remoting and Mono remoting with complex types.  It is only used
>>> to notify a neighbor region that 'this region is up'
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Teravus

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: fishwick at cise.ufl.edu