[Opensim-dev] external host name

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Thu Dec 11 22:42:05 UTC 2008

It turns out that a lot of problems with CAPs have to do with
inconsistencies surrounding the URL of the seed cap. Specifically, in
some cases we're producing URLs with hostnames, other times we're
producing URLs with IP addresses, for example:

http://ucigrid03.nacs.uci.edu:9000/CAPS/4cfc94fa-09be-409b-b136-cda2cdde0000/
vs.
http://128.200.71.43:9000/CAPS/4cfc94fa-09be-409b-b136-cda2cdde0000/

The client is not smart enough to test if this is the same host, it
assumes it isn't, so it decides someone's trying to game it.

The inconsistencies are all over the code in OpenSim, and they pertain
to the use of ExternalHostName in several data structures. In some
cases, an explicit conversion to IP addresses is made.

We should converge to one single thing. And I believe that thing should
be whatever it is given in external_host_name config. Is this right?
However, I am a bit afraid this is going to break 17 different things...

Crista