[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] grid operation

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 11 13:29:34 UTC 2008

Corrected Version with some spelling mistakes fixed and other small changes.

I agree, and if we make the code and interface more shared between standalone mode and the Grid servers, then all the Grid server app have to be is minimum wrappers around the base classes. With them basically just registering http handlers.

This allows there to a gradient between full standalone mode and full Grid mode. Different application are going to require different levels of functions and embedded services.

With one application maybe requiring a embedded Grid and User server in the single instance but using external Inventory and Asset servers. And these Inventory/asset servers could be shared with other applications/grids.

Also I think future work on hyper grid could improve these sort of applications. Allowing applications that require minimum separate backend support, but being part of a bigger hyper grid.

There are so many different applications/ case uses that we haven't really even started to think about yet, that I think it would be a massive mistake to make the distributed grid servers we have now, the only way of using Opensim.

Michael Wright <michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: I agree, and if we make the code and interface more shared between standalone mode and the Grid servers, then all the Grid server app have to be is minimum wrappers around the base classes. With them basically just requesting http handlers.

This allows there to a gradient between full standalone mode and full Grid mode. Different application are going to require different levels of functions and embedding.

With one application maybe requiring a embedded Grid and User server in the single instance but using external Inventory and Asset servers. And these Inventory/asset servers maybe could be shared with other applications/grids.

Also I think future work on hyper grid can improve these sort of applications. Applications requiring minimum backend support but being part of a bigger hyper grid.

There are so many different applications/ case uses that we haven't really even started to think about yet, that I think it would be a massic mistake to  make the distributed grid servers we have now the only way of using Opensim.

"Kyle \"G\"" <create at reactiongrid.com> wrote:
         1024x768        Clean               false    false   false      EN-US   X-NONE   X-NONE                                         MicrosoftInternetExplorer4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               /* Style Definitions */   table.MsoNormalTable  {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";  mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;  mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;  mso-style-noshow:yes;  mso-style-priority:99;  mso-style-qformat:yes;  mso-style-parent:"";  mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in  5.4pt;  mso-para-margin:0in;  mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
 mso-pagination:widow-orphan;  font-size:11.0pt;  font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";  mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;  mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;}                 I have some ideas for embedded, disconnected apps, mobile in nature which require a small embeddable DB and minimal footprint from OpenSim.  For this reason we feel standalone mode is important and needed but for the majority of what we plan in 2009 HyperGrid is a revolution we are really happy to see as we would   love to be part of a bigger community of similar OpenSim grids.

  Kyle G
  www.reactiongrid.com