[Opensim-dev] rex auth & avatar systems (Re: future rexviewer merger)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sun Dec 7 07:10:18 UTC 2008

On Dec 6, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 3:47 AM, Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote:
>> Also, I see anumber of abuse scenarios possible with the
>> login/avatar service (commercial abuse), which is why I personally
>> favor a different model. Specifically, to keep the avatar appearance
>> data on the client and not on any server at all.
> Lets keep talking about this, but perhaps on a different thread.

Ok this tries to be that now.

Melanie, the avatar storage server is a piece of software that you can
host in any way you want - if you want to run one coupled with a
viewer, just do.

About keeping avatar appearance data on the client, what would that
mean for a user that uses several different clients on different
machines?

I think the guts of these designs are the division of the systems into
components, and the interfaces (protocols) between the components - not
so much the configuration of where what is run, if/as the protocols are
independent of that question.

The current Rex implementation is described in
http://www.rexdeveloper.org/wiki/index.php?
title=Introduction_to_realXtend_Server_Platform

With regard to avatar assets, I think that picture is not actually not
complete: IIRC the world server (opensim) basically relays Avatar URLs
to clients, and clients connect the Avatar Storage server directly to
get the appearance etc. So you can run your own, next to the client if
you want, provided that other clients can connect to your client's box
to get your avatar data.

I personally like services that are on servers, like for example use
IMAP for email & screen+irssi on a server for irc to not depend on any
particular client computer, 'cause often need to switch them several
times within a day even. But needs differ, so like said I think systems
and protocols should enable many kinds of configurations.

Diva had some basic questions of the Rex model too, let's see if I can
clarify any of that..

btw I think that the Ogre / mesh support should be an independent
module, not coupled to other Rex stuff as it is orthogonal to the
authentication & avatar storage issues. but that's yet another thread..

yes, I've also been confused there at times. basically the picture in
the wiki page i posted above tells it: the Rex model introduces two new
servers, with new protocols: the 1) authentication server and 2) avatar
storage server. the authentication server has user accounts, and for
each a reference to the avatar data of that user.

indeed.

the idea with the Rex system is that anyone can host world servers or
grids, that the users can use with their existing accounts, so that
their avatars also work. no hypergrid or other such configuration is
required, but the sims/grids need to know the authentication servers
that they trust. there's a sequence diagram of the login procedure but
i couldn't find it in the wiki now - basically it works so that the
client first connects the auth server, gets a nonce, relays that to the
sim which verifies it from the auth server and logs the user in. so you
can add another world server/grid, trust some existing auth server(s),
and welcome users. and like said in response to Melanie above, the
clients then get the appearances of other avatars there from the
storage servers of those avatars, and the world servers don't need to
touch them.

the distributed asset server may well be similar to the rex avatar
asset server, we're going to look more into that, and the idea has been
to generalize so that all assets could be distributed.

do note that both these were implemented a year ago, and published in
last February, so back then they brought all this to the table as no
DAS, Hypergrid nor OGP existed yet. but certainly the job now is to
look at all of these to get the picture, and Rex as a project is
prepared to refactor / drop&replace things - it has been rapid
prototyping, but the goal is to get a solid base and hopefully
standards.

~Toni