[Opensim-dev] Decoupling Was: [Opensim-users] Blender Exporter for OpenSim

Hurliman, John john.hurliman at intel.com
Thu Dec 4 22:52:06 UTC 2008

Take a look at the flow diagrams for the distributed asset server at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/AssetServerProposal/ClientDocs

The only thing left out of that diagram is that the distributed asset server is also compatible with the OpenSim protocol today by running with the OpensimFrontend extension, acting as a replacement for the current asset server. But instead of a single monolithic service, you can run as many as you want (in your diagram the region asset cache could be an asset server running local to the region) and the data can be sourced from anywhere (such as the AmazonS3+CloudFront extension in SVN).

John