[Opensim-dev] Communication between servers (User-Opensim)

Impalah impalah at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:27:12 UTC 2008

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to create a "functional" installation of an Opensim GRID, adding
some custom Region Modules that need "per user" Authentication. In previous
messages the answer is that in grid mode the user password is not sent when
a User Profile is requested, for security reasons... it's right, but we need
then a system to authenticate users. I'm thinking, for example, in the REST
plugins and RemoteAdmin. My proposal is to expose (and implement, of course)
a method in OpenSim.Framework.Communications.IUserService, something like
"AuthenticateUser(name, lastname, password) and returning a boolean.

Maybe it could be used to some kind of brute force attack, but the User
Server could be attacked in a similar way throwing Login requests...

Another thing, and this is a question... I need to use commands like AddUser
from a Region Plugin in GRID mode but I don't have access to user server. Is
there any way to communicate Opensim Server with User Server (I suposse some
kind of http communication...)

Thanks