[Opensim-dev] Viewer license issues [was: Re: OpenSimulator 0.7 (was incorrectly 0.6) Roadmap]

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Fri Aug 29 06:04:28 UTC 2008

Unfortunately, the GPL isn't actually that simple.

There is a whole bunch of clauses relating to things like linking with other software, and there's a large number of licenses which are incompatible with the GPL (We use several libraries under the Apache 2.0 which are blocks for instance)

If you want some information on the transcoding thing, please do a search about 6 months back, Sean wrote an excellent informative email on the topic.

FYI - We have had legal advice on this from a number of lawyers now (I think the count is now 5 individual or teams of lawyers.) on this matter. The only way we can get around this is if Linden Lab provides some form of indemnification on the matter, or if a developer goes through a considerable 'waiting period' (6 months seems to be acceptable) before switching from the viewer to the server work.

Adam