[Opensim-dev] OpenSimulator 0.6 Roadmap

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 10:05:22 UTC 2008

As 0.5.9 has just been tagged/released. I think it is a good time to start thinking in more details about what the goals for the 0.6 series should be.

There is a page on the wiki with some ideas, but by having this discussion here, hopefully we will get more input/debate. And some specifications might get wrote for some of the issues.

Some of the areas that have been talked about/suggested are:

 - New Xml Serialization format

   http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim:Xml_Serialization has some ideas for a new format.

    There is also lot of confusion with the current two xml formats for prim serialisation. With no-one actually sure what version to use. With there actually being very little difference between them. So getting a new format would also help to clear up a user support issue.

- New Scripting Language / API

 There has been a lot of talk lately of a new Scripting language or at least a generic API that scripting languages can hook onto.

- Inter region communcations rewrite

 Well what can we say about the current inter regions comms code, except it makes the rest of the code in opensim look like perfect examples of writing easy to read code.

 - Asset cache/handling

 There has also been a lot of talk on this list in the past, about how to improve the asset handling/caching. And to make it more flexible.

- Restructure and normalise code

- Clean up the dababase layers

 I believe sdague is currently working on this.

- Inter-grid protocol

There is some work being done on support for the Linden labs(tm) opengrid protocol. But it would also be nice if we had our own protocol that took advantage of all the features of opensim and was under our control.

So hopefully in this thread, we could attempt to compile a wishlist/idea list and some high level overview of what might be done for each area. And then spawn other threads for seperate features that can go into more details.

It would also be good if we could compile a list of smaller tasks that people new to the project could attempt.