[Opensim-dev] New Opensim features and minimum hosting hardware requirements

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:58:12 UTC 2008

Dahlia Trimble wrote:

> Given the increasing popularity of Opensim and the rate at which these
> features are being implemented, I think now may be a good time to
> address some of these concerns and also to attempt to influence user
> expectations if some alternatives may provide a better experience at a
> lower cost.

One thing I would love to see is some performance tests (possibly in the OpenSim core, or maybe even
as an external package).  If these could be run and the results possibly posted to a website (along
with machine information and OpenSim configuration information) that would be tres tres cool.

I know that's a lot to ask but one can dream :-)  Of course, it doesn't simulate realistic long term

>      > * How many scripts are continuously running in a region
>      >
>      > * How many scripts an avatar is allowed to have in attachments and
>      > how often they do expensive operations
>      >
>      > * How many prims are in a region and how complex they are
>
>     I'm sure such a system would be beneficial. Besides the performance
>     considerations, it would also grant region owners pretty fine grained
>     control over what they allow or disallow to occur in their regions.
>     That could be very useful.
>
>     (A real-life example of giving region owners control over their region
>     that comes to mind is giving cinemas the ability to block mobile phones
>     in the theater.)
>
>     Mike

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey