[Opensim-dev] About log files ...

Homer Horwitz homerhorwitz at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:00:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Kyle Hamilton <aerowolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Homer, the information on rolling file appenders is appreciated.
> Many UNIX admins prefer to use their platform-native rolling
> implementation, though, so they know exactly where to look in the case
> of breakage.  I'd like to see if there's any way to do that?)
With your native tools, I don't know (and wouldn't expect it, as it
already provides a way to do it).

OTOH, to solve your problem (to know exactly where to look if OpenSim
breaks): You don't have to use "OpenSim.log" in the logger
configuration, you can put in a complete path to the directory where
all your logs normally are stored instead (e.g.
/var/log/opensim/OpenSim.log). That way, your logs are at the "usual"
location, even without using the native tools.

If that isn't enough, and the perfomance hit by opening and closing
the logfile for every single log-line doesn't deter you, I'm sure you
could write a small appender that inherits from FileAppender which
does this, if there is no such feature in standard log4net.

Cheers,
  Holger