[Opensim-dev] Upcoming work on alternative client stack

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 00:16:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:07:45 -0700
"Hurliman, John" <john.hurliman at intel.com> wrote:

> From my testing, any time you deal with a P/Invoke wall you need to
> seriously evaluate whether it is worth it.

I'd just like to clarify a few things.

First, I'm not trying to do any P/Invoke stuff. The funsl stack I'm
working on is strictly C# managed code. The C/C++ files generated by
the compiler can be used in other projects if they are developed in C
or C++.

Second, the performance bottlenecks were mainly with the GC. We found
that during login the number of GC events increased dramatically. The
solution for this is a working PacketPool. There's also the issue of
unpacking the entire packet every time it comes in, immediately as it
comes in, when all that's needed is a subset of the data. The solution
to this is lazily extracting the data right before the client stack
calls out to the core.

Thanks,
Mike