[Opensim-dev] Upcoming work on alternative client stack

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 23:52:59 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:25:22 +0100
Melanie <melanie at t-data.com> wrote:

> I have done much work on moving lower level packet handling stuff
> into the separate LLPacketHandler class. There is very little actual
> transport handling left in LLClientView, and what is left in there
> now is also on the way out, as I am going to make the PacketHandler
> class handle the connection as well.
>
> I Think those are steps in the right direction, and I fully agree
> that we need to remove the remaining knowledge of Packets from the
> core. But simply changing them to Byte[] and then claiming to be
> packet-free is not a solution.

My goal isn't really to move all Packet references out of core at this
time, I'm merely trying out a different way of implementing LL client
connections than that provided by libomv.

We have reasons to believe that it will increase performance, but it's
possible that due to other issues (such as boxing) this might not be
the case. Consider this somewhat of an experiment, not a final redesign.

Thanks,
Mike