[Opensim-dev] Bit packing

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Aug 18 11:16:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

the point is that the Linden protocol uses it in places.

Using acscessor functions that retrieve individual values forces a
memory operation where register operation would do the job.

I suppose that particular case is a minor performance concern, but it
does highlight what I consider to be serious shortcomings of the model.

I am totally unconvinced of the need to even do any work on this at all.
The Packet and it's friends are not the issue, and I don't think they
ever were.
I have fixed so much bottlenecking in the stack already, and it's shown
me that the issues are not in the packet class. I don't know if that is
part of a crusade to remove libsl/omv, but if so, it's not declared as such.

Melanie