[Opensim-dev] Upcoming work on alternative client stack

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:03:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:
> * First of all, can the whole InPacket() construct in client manager be
> refactored so that the specific type knowledge moves into the client
> stack?

This is something Johan pointed out to me a little while ago. In
ClientManager.cs, the InPacket(circuitcode, packet) method takes the
circuit code, looks up the client that matches the circuit code, then
passes the Packet to the client's InPacket() method.

Instead, what it should probably do is return the client.

Johan's pseudo code:
-  ClientManager.InPacket(circuitcode, packet);
+  ClientManager.FindClient(circuitcode).InPacket(packet);

After all, the ClientManager, strictly speaking, should deal with the
clients, not their packets.

> * Passing objects around and recasting them is generally an indication
> of needing to re-think things.

That sounds right. I don't think the answer to "How do we do this?"
should be "You don't."

Thanks for the feedback!
Mike