[Opensim-dev] Thoughts on UUID

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 10 11:53:24 UTC 2008

Dr Scofield wrote:
> Kyle Hamilton wrote:
>> Why not derive OSUUID from LLUUID, with the additional attribute
>> [serializable], provide an implicit conversion operator that provides
>> LLUUID, and provides a constructor from LLUUID?  Is LLUUID sealed or
>> something?
>>
> as i wrote earlier: the libsl folks reacted and added the [serializable]
> attribute back to LLUUID. seems to me we are on a tangent here. is it
> really worthwile to go into this?
>
>     cheers,
>     dirk

I think that's excellent news - I believe our two projects should be
stronger if we co-operate.

However, I believe one strong reason for wanting to establish a separate
UUID class is because the core of OpenSim is intended to be virtual
world platform neutral.  At some point, the Second Life specific code
would be completely separated out into modules which sit on top of this
core.  By this argument, the LLUUID libsecondlife class shouldn't be
deeply embedded within the core of the project.

--
justincc
Justin Clark-Casey