[Opensim-dev] Question about Threads Use in OpenSim ...

Ursula MATOVA ursula.matova at klintcentral.net
Wed Apr 9 16:03:49 UTC 2008

Hi Stefan,

Well, I'm now testing SVN.4111 and it seems to work better ...
Sometimes the Sim freeze, but most often in Standalone mode.

For now, I can run OpenSim, with acceptable response time in 4x4
Regions.

And I had an Idea the past night :)

I think the component that use too many CPU is the one that deal with
port 9000 ( mean something in OpenSim.exe ).

Here is what I'm thinking that :

As I mention in Mantis #909, I'm running OpenSim in Grid mode, 4x4
Regions, BUT, I have created 6 Virtual Servers with Xen.

Linux Debian 4.0r3 Etch, Mono 1.9 /  Xen 3.1.0.

Here is the Topology  :

Dom0 ( 256Mo ) <-- Main Host ( Nothing on it except xen ),
DomU ( osg200 / 256MB Ram ) <-- Apache + MySQL ( Maybe Squid in the
future ),
DomU ( osg201 / 256MB Ram ) <-- OpenSim "U+G+A+I", ( Will update it to
512MB Ram )
DomU ( osg203 / 512MB Ram ) <-- OpenSim "S" ( Region Server, 4
Regions ),
DomU ( osg204 / 512MB Ram ) <-- OpenSim "S" ( Region Server, 4
Regions ),
DomU ( osg205 / 512MB Ram ) <-- OpenSim "S" ( Region Server, 4
Regions ),
DomU ( osg206 / 512MB Ram ) <-- OpenSim "S" ( Region Server, 4
Regions ),

The startup order is : osg200 > osg201 ( UGAI ) > osg203 (S) >
osg204 ...

While monitoring my firewall logs, I found that even if my avatar is
located in a region that belongs to OSG204( for example ) ... There
was Network Trafic to port 9000 ( OSG203 -- The first Region server I
started ).
And, while monitoring RAM/CPU Usage on my Virtual Servers, I have
noticed that OSG203 is in "High CPU usage" state ( much more that
OSG204, 205 or 206 )

Of course I have to confirm all those points and drop you some
metrics. And I have some more tests to prove that. But it could be a
good start point for investigation.

I'll make tests tonight and post the results there.

Regards,

Ursula.

(( Ouch, my english turns bad :D Sorry. ))