[Opensim-dev] Perl vs C# UGAI?

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 10:57:24 UTC 2008

One problem with having two sets of UGAI is that it makes changes harder to do. As I'm not really a perl programmer, if I was going to doing a change to something in the grid servers or the protocol. It would mean I either had to change the perl ones too or break those. And as they are in our svn, we would most likely getting people complaining they are broke. And this is a big factor in my mind as over the next few weeks there is a chance that I will be able to do some work on the grid servers/protocols.

 I'm with Stefan on this one, in that I'm all for there being different implementations of the UGAI's but think for now we should only have one in the svn other wise it is just going to lead to confusion/problems if one implementation is broke because of some change to the other. So think other implementations should be outside the svn.

We do understand that not everyone wants to use the standard c# versions (and to be fair, who would? with the general state they are in). Thats why we (myself and Stefan) have wrote our own ASP version of some of the backend servers, but we haven't added them to the svn for the reasons I gave above. In that not everyone would want to run ASP servers, so we think at this time at least there should only be one version in svn. So that people aren't affraid to do changes in them, like they could be if they knew that there was other versions in svn that they were breaking by doing those changes.

Stefan Andersson <stefan at tribalmedia.se> wrote:    .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }  Simple and straight answer: "No."

 Also, the whole 'share' dir should be externalized into some other repository, or just a (set of) downloadable tarball(s) on the wiki, ASAP

 /Stefan