[Opensim-dev] Filesystem cleanup for OpenSim repository

Michael Wright michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 09:24:36 UTC 2007

Yeah I vote for less projects/assemblies too. Think we need to do a big restructuring of our projects and classes.

 OpenSim.Framework is kind of just a random collection of classes, some that would be better in other places. The same goes for OpenSim.Framework.Communications.

We should have a "sponsored" Cleanup day. :)

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote: For those of us on Linux, the fact that Assembly names != Namespaces !=
directory structure makes finding relevant code a bit of a pain.

I suggest a grand cleanup in this space with the standard being Assembly
name wins.  And example here would be the fact that the assembly:
OpenSim.Region.Environment is created out of 7 directories and
namespaces.

OpenSim/Region/Environment/Scenes/Scripting/
OpenSim/Region/Environment/Scenes/
OpenSim/Region/Environment/Interfaces/
OpenSim/Region/Environment/Types
OpenSim/Region/Environment/Modules
OpenSim/Region/Environment/LandManagement
OpenSim/Region/Environment

Either we should turn this into 7 assemblies, or we should collapse
these into a single namespace / directory.  Comments on which direction
we should go would be welcomed.  I'm happy to dig in on some cleanup
here early next week once a decision is made.

I personal vote for less assemblies, as we already have 22 of them if we
go by the current model, and maintenance on the build system is somewhat
linearly affected by assembly count.

 -Sean