[Opensim-dev] Changes to users table used by the UserServer

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Wed Oct 24 21:38:57 UTC 2007

On the otherhand, I think it may be useful to have those as optional fields
available to grid operators.   If I'm running a small private grid in the
United States, I can easily see wanting that information without getting
into issues with EU directives.

My two cents.

Aldon
  -----Original Message-----
  From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
[mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de]On Behalf Of Michael Wright
  Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:20 AM
  To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
  Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Changes to users table used by the UserServer

  I agree with Tleiades, adding such fields (and storing the data in them)
would be a complex thing due to data protection/privacy laws
(like:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_95/46/EC_on_the_protection_of_p
ersonal_data).

  Tleiades Hax <tleiades at gmail.com> wrote:
    Are we ready to store this information in  our user database?

    This information links a user to real life person, and as such starts to
interract with the various data protection acts across the globe. Especially
EU is a messy tangle I think.

    /tleiades

      The eight fields defined in an 'update_users.sql' are :

      realname1
      realname2
      address1
      zip1
      city1
      country1
      emailaddress
      active

  For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit Yahoo! For Good this
month.