[Opensim-dev] Changes to users table used by the UserServer

Charles Krinke cfk at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 24 02:09:11 UTC 2007

The users table on OSGrid currently contains a number of fields, many used, some unused. The proposed opensimwebinterface is currently version 0.23 and adds 8 fields. I need to know if the group feels adding these 8 fields is appropriate. I would hate for OSGrid to end up with a database incompatible with the direction of our software.

The eight fields defined in an 'update_users.sql' are :

realname1
realname2
address1
zip1
city1
country1
emailaddress
active

The fields currently in the users table are:

UUID
username
lastname
passwordHash
passwordSalt
homeRegion
homeLocationX
homeLocationY
homeLocationZ
homeLookAtX
homeLookAtY
homeLookAtZ
created
lastLogin
userInventoryURI
userAssetURI
profileCanDoMask
profileWantDoMask
profileAboutText
profileFirstText
profileImage
profileFirstImage

My opinion on all this is several fold.

Fold 1: I dont see any need for realname, address, zip, city, country stuff. In fact, zip is not used in any country but one.

Fold 2: I want to encourage this related project, but dont want to let OSGrid evolve in a direction that takes away from test results and benefit to OpenSim.

Fold 3: Having an emailaddress lets us contact a user. Currently this is in a Mambo table, so this is probably Ok. But perhaps OpenSim should add it officially in svn.

Fold 4: There are 4 other tables with names like wi_admin, wi_adminsetting, wi_sitemanager, wi_lastnames, wi_country. I assume no one objects if I add these to the 'osgridredux' database.

Fold 5: I am a noob at SQL stuff, so I am really looking for a little guidance here to make sure OSGrid continues to benefit us all.

Charles