[Opensim-dev] Globally avaibability of config options (?)

Bowman, Mic mic.bowman at intel.com
Fri Oct 19 14:18:46 UTC 2007

what about a common class that reads the same config file that each
component can instantiate? similar to the proposal for logging.

personally, i'd like to see the following objectives for config:
* single file OR single directory for all configuration information
    - single directory assumes consistent file naming conventions and
common syntax across the files (to the extent its possible)
* consistent method for overriding config through command line options
* ability to set all paths through the config files (move a bunch of the
immediate strings into config vars)
    - eg location of the asset/library initialization files,
region/estate settings file names, default terrain

right now configuration includes multiple formats (xml for regions &
estatesettings & asset/library initialization, ini format for high level
sim config), multiple directories (off bin including regions, script
engines, terrain filters, etc), multiple naming conventions, etc. and
most of this is embedded in immediate strings inside the code.

--mic